harborne physio & acupuncture news
Specialist Physiotherapy with Lisa for Children with bladder or bowel problems.
Do you recognise any of these behaviours or symptoms in your child?
- ‘Bedwetting’ or nocturnal enuresis
- Daytime urinary or faecal leakage/soiling of underwear (‘Can’t hold it’)
- Chronic constipation
- Urgency or rushing to get to the toilet
- Frequent bladder infections
- Avoidance of opening bowels or bladder (‘Holding on’)
(It is important to bear in mind that most children will have day/night-time control by the age of 5)
Don’t wait for these symptoms to disappear on their own, seek help from a specialist paediatric pelvic floor physiotherapist.
Physiotherapy is not painful. It is a non-invasive treatment that helps your child gain control of their bowel and bladder function
Treatments may include:
- Muscle stretching
- Muscle strengthening
- Relaxation techniques
- Diet and fluid modification
- Bladder schedule to improve voiding habits
If symptoms of bladder and bowel dysfunction are left untreated, they can persist into the child’s adult life. If treated successfully, the associated embarrassment, anxiety and behavioural problems that might have developed will fade away as the child becomes more confident and secure in bladder and bowel control.
Contact the clinic today for an appointment with Specialist paediatric pelvic physiotherapist Lisa Hastie.
“Helping a child with bladder or bowel problems also makes a home a much happier place”
« back to all new stories